A comprehensive program to build national capacity for eHealth and telemedicine
The UP Manila National Telehealth Center has begun planning for a ladderized program on eHealth and Telemedicine (leading to a Masters in Health Informatics). The program is intended for anyone interested in the application of information and communications technology (ICT) in health.
The program is made up of several layers.
1) Basic ICT literacy – intended for participants who are not yet well versed with the use of ICT (how to use a computer or mobile phone)
2) eHealth Practitioner – intended for participants who are in the health workplace already familiar with electronic mail and computer operations. This course introduces the participants to the many eHealth applications already available and will have special focus on open source electronic health records (for rural health units and/or small hospitals).
3) eHealth Manager – this course is designed for participants who occupy middle-manager positions and are charged with implementing eHealth applications into the workplace (eg, electronic health records, lab automation, etc). The eHealth practitioner course is a pre-requisite to this course.
4) eHealth Strategist – this course is reserved for participants who have the inclination to develop their own eHealth solutions. The course is highly technical and requires good grounding with the organizational and management aspects of health informatics.
5) Masters of Science in Health Informatics – after going through the steps of the ladder, qualified participants are guided through a documentation process (thesis) which they will then defend to a panel.
Other special courses are available:
1) Public health informatics (requisite: eHealth Practitioner)
2) Data warehousing for health (requisite: eHealth Practitioner)
3) Advanced course on electronic health records (requisite: eHealth Manager )
4) Advanced course on telemedicine (requisite: eHealth Practitioner)